Sunday, February 20, 2011

Our Valentines Tradition.

Valentines day for us means a special meal at home.

It all started on our first Valentines together. I believe it was a Wednesday - the middle of the week - no fun! We didn't have reservations anywhere, we had a long day at work, and neither one of us wanted to hurry and get ready to go to a crowded, overpriced (most likely) place. So Oscar decided to grill steak, at home, and casual. The rest is history...

We have rules for Valentines day:
  1. We don't fight crowds,
  2. we don't dress up,
  3. we don't leave our house
  4. we use our wedding china
  5. we grill steak
I just made those up! But, it's true...we follow those rules even though they are not in stone anywhere.

This year our menu included:
  • prime rib
  • lobster
  • baked potatoes
  • roasted asparagus
  • roasted onion
  • Red Lobster style biscuits
  • yummy red wine
Here's some pictures of our adventure with surf and turf:


As of last year, I told Oscar...you don't have to get me roses. Flowers, yes. Roses, no. So he got me beautiful red tulips last year and a plant this year. I call it our love plant!!! He even took Xia to the little flower shop to pick these up for me:) It's in full bloom as of this weekend. I am going to re-pot it this week.
Notice how I didn't mention dessert above...
Some years I make strawberry shortcake. But this year we were in such a rush to feed the baby and put her down before our dinner, time the preparation just right so that it was all ready and warm at the same time, etc that I didn't even prepare anything. Well, that is except our chocolates... I told Oscar last year that I indeed wanted chocolates with my flowers (we do cards & flowers, but no gifts on vday), so he brought me mini snickers that he froze. I DID NOT have that on my mind, but decedent, specialty chocolates on my mind... that is until I popped one of those frozen mini snickers into my mouth - wowzers!!! YUM! So now we get mini snickers and freeze them and it kinda counts as our dessert:) We have one each night until they are gone (they seem to last forever that way!).
Also... dinner makes us so full that wine during and after dinner becomes our dessert!!

So happy my Valentines is sweet, romantic, handsome, lovely, and oh so kissable:)

1 comment:

Cavazos Family said...

that sounds fabulous....so next year's Valentine's Day we are either at your house or Oscar better teach Alex how to cook lobster :)